View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: Fez - Paladin/Mage

General Information 

Name: Alf
Location/Timezone: Sydney

Can you attend our farm content raids, (Wed/Thu/Sun)from 7pm -> 11pm AEST)?
Yes

Tell us a little about yourself:
I've been playing wow since the launch of BC and have been raiding since then until about 2 years ago (early cata) when my main guild (Twelve) had retired from raiding. I returned to wow with some IRL friends when WoD was released and am now hooked again!
I work as an Art Director in Sydney. Starting around Feb-March I'll be put in charge of starting, hiring, and leading an office of 3-4 graphic designers, which I'm super excited for. Being an Art Director also means that I don't have to do the manual labour that comes with being a graphic designer, so I can work from home a lot of the time, which gives me the freedom to play wow a lot during the day :)
I love games, and for the past year I've been studying Games Programming, hoping to get a second degree, but I've deferred that and I just applied for Computer Science at Sydney Uni, as I feel that is a bit more relevant, and the games course I was doing was at a private college and was, in a nutshell, total shit.
I hope to one day combine the two degrees (if I get in to comp sci that is!) and develop apps and platforms by understanding both the technical, back end, and the visual/user experience, front end. Basically creating stuff that have both form and function.

Character Information 
Character Name: Temple
Class: Holy Paladin
Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/jubeithos/Temple/advanced

List and describe any gear sets for other specs that you possess: 
I keep my ret gear as up to date as I can, but because of the gear changes in WoD, my Holy and Ret sets share several pieces. I think my ret set is at 652 or something. Not great, but hardly irrelevant.

Do you have any reasonably geared alts that you are prepared to play as well? List & describe them here: 
Character Name: Raw
Class: Mage
Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/jubeithos/Raw/advanced
My entire raid history prior to WoD has been as a mage, so playing one is second nature to me. Although I'm having a lot of fun learning how to heal top-tier content, and how to play a paladin in general, I'm more than happy to play my mage if that fills a more urgent need.
Describe your role in a specific raid encounter (You have the freedom to pick any fight). Go into some detail in how you manage your character and cooldowns, your role may also be different - depending on how your guild does this fight, so explain what exactly you do. If you have done the encounter on Heroic, explain that difficulty rather then normal: 
Holy Paladin:
Hand of Protection on the target of Berserker Rush in Mythic Garrosh
Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice removes the redirect component of Hand of Sacrifice, making it a flat 20% damage reduction on the target, which can be very useful during Twins Whirlwind or Ko'ragh soaker.
Mage:
A ranged interrupt, which can be very useful in fights like Brackenspore if part of the interrupt rotation.
Blinking through high damage areas such as Imperator's Force Nova, gives the healers a bit of help by reducing damage taken by me.
Blink can be useful in almost every encounter to dodge particular damage that would be otherwise unavoidable. It also allows me to continue casting longer and spend less time moving, as I can get to my destination instantly.
Raiding Information
Previous Raid Experience (guilds, ranks/roles, and content cleared - include Vanilla/BC if relevant): 
Burning Crusade
Karazhan
Gruul's Lair
Magtheridon's Lair
Serpentshrine Cavern (half)\
Tempest Keep (half)
Mount Hyjal (half)
Wrath of the Lich King

Frostmourne
Naxxramas
Eye of Eternity
Obsidian Sanctum (+ 3 drakes)

Frostmourne
H Ulduar (not including Algalon) (+ Glory 10)
H Trial of the Crusader (skill)
H Onyxia
H Icecrown Citadel (including Lich King, half guild run, other half Tsunami members) (+ Glory 25)
N Ruby Sanctum
Cataclysm
Frostmourne
H Bastion of Twilight
H Throne of the Four Winds
H Blackwing Descent (10 only, not including Nef on 25)
N Firelands (half)

Reason for leaving your current guild: 
Early on in Firelands, Twelve's GM (who was also raid leader and MT) decided to quit in order to focus on his studies, as he was nearing the end of his uni degree. When he left, the majority of the guild lost devotion and followed him. After raiding with twelve for about 4 years, I felt quite disheartened and lost interest in playing wow altogether, as I had made some great friends in Twelve and didn't see much of a point playing without them. I stopped playing wow and have returned with several real life friends (current guild, Fury, just us in it) to see what Warlords of Draenor had in store. By level 91 I was hooked.

Link to any recent combat parses (WMO, WoL, etc): 
Normal Highmaul Pug: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZF7WpMvRdVrtbjkn#boss=-2&wipes=2
Heroic Highmaul Pug:
 https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CQFV4cpRAPW2t9xv#boss=-2&wipes=2
Link a screenshot of your UI (in combat, in a raid setting), use imgur.com to upload your image:
Joined a random LFR to get in a raid scenario so that my ui elements appeared properly:
http://i.imgur.com/MVBeNgE.jpg
Explain your keybinds and key addon usage, you may use your UI screenshot to assist you in doing so: 
Kept my key binds as simple as I could, and I've been using them for years so I'm used to them. I use 1-6 because anything beyond that is impossible to reach with my left hand without letting go of movement keys. X, F, G, R, T, Y, Z, and shift equivalents of those. Most people use ctrl but I find shift much easier to press with my pinky. My pinky rests on shift at all times.
I find weakauras my most useful addon. It helps me keep my three most important cooldowns off cooldown: Holy Shock, Holy Prism, and Avenging Wrath. I've set up grid to help me keep track of my Eternal Flame targets, everything is pretty standard really. I use grid over other alternatives such as vuhdo because I've grown accustomed to it, and I like that it is highly customisable, and does what I need it to. I don't really like the position of my grid, but as a designer, I'm obsessed with symmetry, and can't pull myself to having it randomly off to the side or something like other healers.
List your computer's stats and your internet connection. Include average latency and FPS during raids: 
Probably going to upgrade soon:
Operating System: Windows 7(x64)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz Quad Core
GFX: AMD Radeon HD 7880
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Internet: Telstra Cable

Geekbench: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1456776
Speed Test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3969023593

Extra
Why do you want to join Honestly?: 
I'd be lying if I said that I had heard about you guys before. I've been Frostmourne Alliance since starting wow. I really only transferred to Jubei because I was sick of the ridiculous queue times when WoD launched, and since that isn't an issue anymore, I will be returning to Frostmourne Alliance very soon.

Tell us why we should give you a trial: 

I think I have one very important thing that makes me different from a lot of applicants you receive: I don't think I'm the best, and don't think I ever can be. And therefore, I am always striving to improve. I always tell myself, not just in terms of games, but with everything, in order to succeed you must surround yourself with people who are better than you, and that is what I think I will get with Honestly. I perform best under pressure in everything that I do.
I have been a member of Twelve for over 4 years, and even though I didn't play wow for a big chunk of that, I still visit the forums and lurk there on a regular basis. I made a bunch of great friends with whom I shared many laughs, and a fair share of grief and wipes, and I want to experience that comradery once more with Honestly.
Do you play any other games? Give us an idea of your general gaming background/history: 
I've played dota for as long as I can remember. Me and my friends used to spend countless hours at a nearby internet cafe playing dota after school etc. I played dota 2 as soon as the beta came out and have been playing on and off since then. I have about 2000 hours played. I haven't played in a while but if there are people from Honestly that play I'd definitely be keen to get back into it.
Like dota, me and my group of mates typically play a game for a couple of months before getting bored of it. I always say that I'd be keen to continue playing, but my friends usually give up pretty early and I see no point in playing by myself, as is the case with every game except wow.
The standard games: FFXIV, Rift, Tera, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online, etc
SWTOR does get a special mention, as we started a guild and got (I believe) AU 2nd Nightmare Mode Soa (the end boss at that time, on the hardest difficulty)
I still log into GW2 every now and then, its hard to get bored of because its just so fucking awesome of a game.
If there is anything else you would like to add, or you have any closing comments, include them here:
If you haven't already concluded, let me stress this fact. I am incredibly dedicated to my role and my class. You may see my ~2 years of inactivity as a big red flag, but what I lack in recent experience I make up for tenfold in relentless dedication to improvement. I work best under pressure, and by being surrounded by people better than me. I don't want to revive my raiding career (career?) in a mediocre guild where my skills aren't being challenged and I'm not constantly being pushed to perform at my best.
In WotLK, I applied to Twelve, knowing I was drastically under geared and had no where near enough raiding experience. I submitted the most thorough application they had ever received. They gave me an MsPaint Challenge (Part of Twelve's recruitment process is that the applicant complete a challenge given to them by a guild member to draw something obscure and creative in MS Paint) Naturally I worked for hours on mine. It was so impressive that the GM's printed it, framed it, and hung it on the wall of their house. It was also put in a thread titled "Twelve MS Paint Hall of Fame"
Can provide the image upon request :)
After joining Twelve, by the time Cataclysm came along, I was their number 1 mage, and was 2nd in line to receive the legendary Firelands weapon (behind an officer that had been in the guild since it's conception. Fair enough!)
When I graduated with a degree in Graphic Design, on my first job interview, I talked the interviewer's ears off, telling him about how even though I'm a recent graduate, I was hungry for experience and dedicated to improvement. Out of what I would consider sheer exhaustion, he hired me as an unpaid intern and within a few weeks I was a Junior Designer. Now only 2 years later, I'm an Art Director, and as of early next year, I'll be hiring a team of designers and starting a new office, which I will be leading.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I always aim higher than I believe I lie, and that every time I've been given a chance, I've followed through, improved greatly, and have become an integral part of whatever it is I've become a part of, both in wow and in the real world.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honestly Forum Index -> PVE Applications All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum